Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Stitching the Pieces Together

Greetings readers! I hope I find you in good spirits, and if not, hopefully this blog can cheer you up a bit. The past few days have been exceptionally educational and productive. Just wait until you can see what I can do now... my mom will be so proud.

Monday morning started out with a twist: our ride was here on time! Typically, Aaron and I are ready at 8:15 for our 7:50 ride, which in reality, comes at 9:30. But today, by some wrinkle in the fabric of time, the driver actually came at 7:50. It was a disaster. Aaron was getting in the shower, I was getting dressed, and we had to wait until 10:00 for our ride to come back. As a result, we were told that we were going to be picked up during the normal morning route at 7:20, which makes perfect sense. This morning they arrived at 7:10, which stripped me of my breakfast. Oh how African time differs from American time.

When we arrived at the office on Monday, though, there was not much for us to do. Dwight, country director for Food for the Hungry International Rwanda (FHI/R) hinted that we should write a report outlining the problems faced by the resettlement camp and potential ideas for FHI/R involvement. Two days later, the report is almost finished, and I must admit, I am proud. Being able to write out all of our ideas has helped us develop and refine them. Though I am sure FHI/R will not be able to utilize all of the solutions, simply due to a lack of resources, I am confident that at least a variation of one of our ideas will be undergone. Crossing my fingers.

A painfully hilarious or hilariously painful event (depending on you perspective) occured during work on Monday. While leaning back in my wheelie chair, gravity decided to duke it out, and my chair and I slipped and fell on our backs. Aaron was so supportive; he leaned over and chuckled, "heh, that was embarrassing." Even Emmanuel thought it was "very funny." Fortunately, I suffered no injuries, but fate was not so kind to my dress pants, which were ripped behind the knee by the chair. When I returned home, however, I embraced the opportunity, and after prodding some women to teach, I learned how to sew up pants. And not just the standard stitch, but something called the chain stitch as well. Granted, the pants will probably rip the second I put them on, but I am proud nonetheless.

Abby also recently introduced me to the wonderment of photo-editing software, which I have been experimenting with fervently. Here's another shot from the refugee camp that I have really come to love. Oh and yes, I always ask for permission before I take a close-up like this.


Today was exciting as well. After work, Aaron and I engaged in an exhaustive hour and fifteen minute game of Egyptian War, which I won, by the way. I also lent a hand in the kitchen, learning how to make matoke (a popular Ugandan dish made out of cooked bananas) and homemade french fries. I look forward to making the fries at home to accompany a BROWN burger on the grill. Mmmmmm. Hopefully, this will be the first of many kitchen experiences, as I try to learn how fend for myself. If I could learn how to wash the dishes... sigh...

Well, that is all for now, and in fact, tis all for the week. Tomorrow I depart for Burundi in order to assist with a food assessment there. There will be electricity at the guest house I will be at, but not internet. I should be back Saturday night at the latest and will probably blog about the experience on Sunday. Although I will be in an unfamiliar territory, so any forthcoming prayers would be most appreciated. Thank you all for reading. God bless!

No comments: