Saturday, October 13, 2007

Daydreaming


“These are the parking lots located in the embassy. To get to this one, you can enter here, which is the short way, or here, which is the long way. You can not go this way now though because of construction. To get to this parking lot, you can enter here, which is the short way, or here, which is the long. However, you can not go this way now, because of construction.”

The USUN staff had warned about this, and rightfully so. The embassy’s mandatory Security Briefing was notorious for being tedious, pointless and drawn-out. Being that it was on Friday, I found it to be an anticlimactic end to an exciting week. Granted there was some information that it was critical I received, but the bulk of it either had to do with vehicle logistics (I have no car) and US housing security (I have my own room). So, just like in high school, I spent most of my time daydreaming of positive recent events.

Monday was Columbus Day, and though all US embassy’s technically have the day off, I still put in a few hours. I was glad to though, because it consisted of going to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and meeting Dr. Robert Thompson, renown agricultural policy expert and sponsored US speaker. We shared lunch, along with my supervisor, and I was able to learn much from simply talking to him, not only about his topic of expertise, but also about potential career options in the field. Afterward, I had the afternoon off, so I went back out to the catacombs on the Appian Way. I finally visited the “good” catacombs, which were great, though I liked the other better. I trotted home and set myself to making my first batch of pasta. Mmmmm.

“When you see the guard wave for you to pull up you vehicle, pull up your vehicle. We used to have a light that did that, but than people would get distracted and hit and barrier, so now we just have the guards do it.”

Tuesday sent me out to the World Food Program (WFP) for the first time, where I brought hand-outs for Dr. Thompson’s lecture the new US Farm Bill. I will not bore you with the details, but the House Farm Bill 2007 is horrible and makes no progress from its predecessor. It sets us back in terms of the Doha Trade Agreement, international food aid, and subsidies to specialty crop farmers, among other things. So, I learned all of that, and that the WFP headquarters was unfortunately design and built in the retro-style 70s. Anyways, later that evening, I went for a run (training for the Run-for-Food) from Piazza della Repubblica to Piazza del Popolo and back, grabbing a well-earned Panini on the way home.


“In an emergency situation, you want to duck and cover, find something solid, away from an outside wall, and get underneath it. You may have fractions of a second, or may have fifteen minutes, but always treat it like you have fractions of a second, or may get blown up.”

Wednesday started out in the panic, scrambling to make hundreds of copies for Dr. Thompson’s presentation “10 Myths about International Agricultural Markets” at the FAO. Once I arrived, I made sure everything was in place, and ten set up a table with the Xeroxed literature. It was a good thing that I made all of those copies, though, because the presentation was packed, standing-room only. I spent the entire time pressing a recorder into a head phone set so that the Mission will have a digital recording of it all. Afterward, I made a quick sign-up sheet for the Powerpoint presentation, and then dashed up to the cafeteria, which has an amazing panoramic view, to save seats for everyone in the Mission. It was a good lunch with enjoyable conversation. I feel like Dr. Thompson and the people at the USUN have really started to warm up to me.

“Now sometimes people call me saying that they have had a break-in at their house. So I ask them, “did you lock your door,” and sure enough, they answer “no.” That is not a break-in, that’s a walk-in. Some people have woken up to find someone in their house. Potentially more disturbing are the people that have woken up to find that their wallet, which was on their nightstand, is gone. So, lock your doors.”

Thursday, Dr. Thomspon had left and in the morning I met two biotech scientists who the US had flown in for an FAO seminar. My supervisor and I took them to the FAO to show them around, which I am still wary at, despite the fact I have been there a few times and can usually orient myself. Once they had toured, I left and visited the Baths of Catacalla, the second largest public baths of Roman times (the first being the Bath of Diocletian, which had been transformed into a basilica a block from where I love). The baths were magnificent, and I actually found myself jealous of the Romans for having such a wonderful free and public place to relax.
“Something that may be of concern is seismic activity. Now, if Mt. Versuvius were to erupt, Rome would not covered in ash, but the influx of refugees from Naples and the southern cities would be outrageous. Crime would skyrocket because there would not be enough resources for everyone, and traffic would be terrible. Just something to be aware of.”

Thursday night was a new experience. I had the opportunity to attend a reception with our biotech scientists and others from the FAO at a residence that overlooked the city. The view was magnificent, the food was delicious, and the conversation was extremely educational. To avoid annoying the socializing technical scientists, I went around asking each one only one or two questions about the topic. However, as I went around the room, my questions became more advanced as I began to understand the ways that biotechnology both contributes to and affects food aid and hunger-related issues. More than often, the scientists were delighted to talk with me, flattered that someone, especially a twenty year-old, found their field of study interesting.

“Stay away from protests and demonstrations. In all my years here I have only seen three pro-American demonstrations, and the largest of them had three people. Protests are also good targets for terrorism. Even if is not targeted at you, it can still hurt you. Which reminds me, if you someone deliver a package to a government building, do not go near it. Government buildings do not receive mail; you are witnessing a terrorist attack.”

I exchanged “Jim Halpert” glances with my fellow interns. Man, this guy was serious. I suppose it was all good to know. Admittedly, part of my grudge was that in order to come to the security briefing, I was missing the biotech seminar, which was designed to educate the uneducated about the topic. Sigh. What can you do? Since the presentation was only half over, I decided to start planning for the weekend.

Oh, by the way, I still do not have internet in my room... long story. Anyways, once I do, be assured to you will have a video tour of my place. The internet cafes are not letting me do it.

Thank you for reading. God Bless!

a "Jim Halpert" from The Office

No comments: